Written by Haris Updated at Sep 17, 2023 | Reading time: 4 min
A precis is a summary, and precis-writing means encapsulating. Precis-jotting is an exercise in compression. A precis is the gist or main theme of a passage expressed in as numerous words as possible. It should be lucid, brief, and full (i.e. including all essential points), So that anyone on reading it may be able to grasp the main points and general effect of the passage epitomized. Precis- notation must not be confused with paraphrasing. A restatement should reproduce not only the substance of a passage but also all its details. It will therefore be at least as long as, and presumably longer than, the original. But a precis must always be important shorter than the original; for it's meant to express only the main theme, shorn of all insignificant details, and that as pithily as possible. As the styles of pens differ, some being concise and some circumlocutory, no rigid rule can be laid down for the length of a precis; but so much may be said, that a precis should not contain further than a third of the number of words in the original passage.
Effective Communication: Precis writing enhances your capability to communicate quickly and precisely. This skill is invaluable in various fields, from academia to business, where clear and concise communication is essential.
Time-Saving: In a world where time is a precious resource, precis notation allows albums to grasp the main points of a document snappily. It helps them decide whether to claw into the entire text or move on to other tasks.
Advanced Appreciation: When you exercise precis notation, you develop better appreciation chops. You learn to identify pivotal ideas, arguments, and supporting details in a text.
Thorough Reading: Commence your precis notation process by reading the original text attentively. ensure you grasp the author's main argument and supporting validation.
Identify pivotal Ideas: Illuminate the primary generalities and arguments presented in the text. These will serve as the foundation for your precis.
Count Redundancy: Weed out spare expressions, repetitions, and irrelevant details. Your precis should be brief and focused.
Maintain the Author's Tone: While condensing the text, strive to retain the author's tone and style to save the original meaning and intent.
Restatement: Rewrite the content in your own words while staying faithful to the core ideas. Avoid direct citations unless essential.
Arrange Logically: Organize the pivotal ideas in a logical sequence, ensuring that your precis flows fluently, making it easily suitable.
Verify Accuracy: Double-check that your precis directly reflects the original text's main points. Avoid misinterpretations or elisions.
Keep It Concise: Aim to significantly reduce the length of the original text. A good rule of thumb is to limit your precis to one-third or one-fourth of the original length.
Revise and Edit: After drafting your precis, review and edit it for clarity, ABC, and consonance.
Proofread: Before finishing your precis, conduct a thorough proofreading session to count any crimes or typos.
Significant social changes were brought about by the Industrial Revolution, which started in the late 18th century. It led to the automation of products, urbanization, and the growth of the middle class. also, the revolution had far-reaching impacts on working conditions, leading to the rise of labor movements and the demand for workers' rights.
The Industrial Revolution, starting in the late 18th century, caused profound societal shifts. It mechanized products, fostered urbanization, and promoted middle-class expansion. It also touched on labor movements and demands for workers' rights due to adverse working conditions.
1. First precisely read the passage, if necessary, several times, and seize fluently its main theme or general meaning.
2. Examine the passage in detail, to make sure of the meaning of each judgment, expression, and word.
3. Provide a succinct title that accurately describes the topic.
4. Handpick and note down the important points essential to the expression of the main theme.
5. Note the length of the number of words specified for the precis. and write out a first draft.
6. In doing this flashback you are to express the gist of the passage in your own Words and not in citations from the passage; that you should condense by revising rather than by bare omission; and that your precis must be tone-contained and a connected total. Add nothing; make no comment; correct no data.
7. Revise your draft. Compare it precisely with the original to see that you have included all the important points. If it's too long. still further compress it by forgetting gratuitous words and expressions or by revising rulings. Correct all misapprehensions in spelling and see that it's properly refocused. Use plain, straightforward language.
8. Write out neatly the fair dupe under the heading you have named.
Sep 24, 2023 | Education
Sep 23, 2023 | Education
Sep 21, 2023 | Education
Sep 21, 2023 | Education
Sep 20, 2023 | Education
101 Essays That Will Change the Way You Think is definitely a book to read...Read more
An autobiography details the life events and personal experiences of the au...Read more
Discover how AI tools are transforming the writing process, making it smoot...Read more
Thinking about skydiving but worried that age might hold you back? Don't Be...Read more